* The Pac-12 Hotline publication is revealed every Monday-Wednesday-Friday throughout the school sports activities season (and twice-a-week in the summer time). This version, from Jan. 11, has been made obtainable in archived type …
Scores for bowl video games sometimes don’t occupy a spot of prominence on the Hotline’s radar, however this isn’t a typical winter. Over the coming months, conferences will finalize the bowl preparations for the cycle of video games starting with the 2020 season.
The partnerships — each present and potential — are based mostly on a spread of elements, and we’re not suggesting a single scores level for any given recreation will influence the Pac-12’s future lineup.
That stated, the viewership numbers occupy a spot on the broader canvass that influences selections made by the bowls and their communities, the conferences and the TV networks.
With that in thoughts, and with the knowledge culled from sportsmediawatch (a useful website), the Hotline compiled the scores for the Pac-12 bowl video games over the previous three years.
• Scores not obtainable for all video games.
• I’ve included, at backside, the convention’s one-off matchups video games, resembling Utah in the Coronary heart of Dallas Bowl in 2017 or the New Yr’s Six matchups, along with all the contracted video games.)
• Understand that scores could be impacted by competitors.
2016: eight.6 score/15.7 million (USC vs. Penn State)
2017: 13.7 score/26.9 million (Georgia vs. Oklahoma/CFP)
2018: eight.9 score/16.eight million (Washington vs. Ohio State)
2016: 2.6 score/four.6 million (Colorado vs. Oklahoma State)
2017: 2.5 score/four.four million (Stanford vs. TCU)
2018: Three.2 score/5.5 million (Washington State vs. Iowa State)
2016: 2.four score/four.zero million (Washington State vs. Minnesota)
2017: not out there/1.6 million (Washington State vs. Michigan State)
2018: zero.9 score/1.eight million (Utah vs. Northwestern)
2016: 1.6 score/2.6 million (Utah vs. Indiana)
2017: 1.7 score/2.eight million (Arizona vs. Purdue)
2018: 2.Three score/Three.eight million (Oregon vs. Michigan State)
2016: 1.9 score/2.9 million (Stanford vs. North Carolina)
2017: 1.5 score/2.2 million (Arizona State vs. N.C. State)
2018: 1.eight score/2.6 million (Stanford vs. Pittsburgh)
Las Vegas Bowl
2016: no Pac-12 participant
2017: 2.Three score/Three.eight million (Oregon vs. Boise State)
2018: 2.25 score/Three.Three million (Arizona State vs. Fresno State)
2016: no Pac-12 participant
2017: not obtainable/Three.Three million (UCLA vs. Kansas State)
2018: 1.6 score/2.7 million (Cal vs. TCU)
2016: 10.7 score/19.Three million (Washington vs. Alabama)
2017: 5.Three score/9.5 million (USC vs. Ohio State)
2017: 5.7 score/10.2 million (Washington vs. Penn State)
Coronary heart of Dallas
2017: not out there/2.2 million (Utah vs. West Virginia)
We’ll have extra on the Pac-12’s postseason lineup as the discussions deepen and contracts are finalized over the winter and spring. — Jon Wilner
*** Signal-up right here for a free subscription to the Hotline publication. Thanks in your help.
• Arizona coach Sean Miller has labored intently with the convention in recent times on strategic initiatives, notably involving scheduling. The Hotline caught up with Miller on Wednesday night time to debate the state of males’s basketball. He pointed the finger … at himself. “Right now, I’m not part of the solution.”
• The newest podcast is one of the greatest in Hotline historical past: Former Washington quarterback Brock Huard joined me for a 35-minute dialogue of Pac-12 soccer. The ex-Husky quarterback is keen about the convention, insightful and brutally trustworthy … Take pleasure in the Pac-12 Hotline podcasts? You’ll want to go to our podcast web page at mercurynews.com. It’s also possible to get notified of new episodes on iTunes, Google Play Music, Spotify and Stitcher.)
• ICYMI: Pac-12 followers may take nice enjoyment of seeing USC flounder on the subject and off, however the convention wants the Trojans to get their act collectively. (Similar with UCLA basketball.) Earlier editions of the publication can be found in archived type utilizing the following hashtag: https://www.mercurynews.com/tag/pac-12-hotline-newsletter/
Why we’d like your help: Like so many different suppliers of native journalism throughout the nation, the Hotline’s dad or mum web site, mercurynews.com, lately moved to a subscription mannequin. A number of Hotline tales will stay free every month (as will this text), however for entry to all content material, you’ll have to subscribe at a fee of simply 12 cents per day for 12 months. And thanks in your loyalty.
Perspective on the convention from past its borders …
• Early top-25 rankings for subsequent season have been all the rage this week. Right here’s a roundup: ESPN’s Mark Schlabach believes Justin Herbert’s return has put the Geese “at the top of the Pac-12 pecking order” in 2019 … CBS Sports activities’ Dennis Dodd thinks the Geese are worthy of a top-10 rating and has three different Pac-12 groups in his prime 25 … Yahoo is one of the few retailers to undertaking a bounce-back season for USC, slotting the Trojans 19th … The Athletic’s Stewart Mandel isn’t satisfied Washington State can keep its success, however he likes Utah as the staff to beat in the South. (Hotline picks are right here, by the method.)
(Notice: The Hotline publication consists of hyperlinks to websites that would require a subscription as soon as the quantity of free views has been reached.)
• Utah has turned to an previous pal to take cost of the offense: Andy Ludwig, who served as coordinator when the Utes made their Sugar Bowl run a decade in the past, will substitute departed playcaller Troy Taylor. Since leaving Utah after the 2008 season, Ludwig has labored for 4 faculties, Vanderbilt being the newest.
• Stanford quarterback KJ Costello is passing on the NFL Draft, which provides the Cardinal an opportunity to navigate one of the hardest schedules in the nation. (Whether or not it has sufficient playmakers to problem in the North is one other matter.)
• Extra North division QB information: Oregon State’s choices for 2019 expanded Thursday when Jake Luton was granted a sixth yr of eligibility on account of the again damage he suffered two seasons in the past.
• Vital defensive improvement out of Eugene that additionally will impression the race: Oregon all-conference linebacker Troy Dye is returning for his senior yr.
• The Arizona Cardinals confirmed that Kliff Kingsbury resigned from USC earlier than interviewing for his or her head teaching place. However why? Recall the studies that Trojans athletic director Lynn Swann blocked Kingsbury from interviewing with the NFL.
• Mike Leach: A video compilation of random ideas.
• Talking of WSU: 247sports activities reviews the Cougars are “believed to have entered the hunt” for Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts. In contrast to Gardner Minshew, nevertheless, Hurts’ talent set — he’s a dual-threat QB — doesn’t translate ideally to the Air Raid.
• Stanford dipped into a well-known pool to land the No. 2-rated offensive deal with in the class of 2020: Myles Hinton, from Higher Atlanta Christian Faculty, which has produced, amongst others, present Cardinal quarterback Davis Mills.
• Oregon suffered what coach Dana Altman referred to as a “gut punch” on Thursday, blowing what ought to have been an insurmountable lead towards UCLA: The Geese have been up 9 with 51 seconds left in regulation, then misplaced in additional time. (The ending included a uncommon occasion through which intentional fouling went awry.)
• One staff’s collapse is one other’s miracle win. Right here’s the view from UCLA, which made three Three-pointers in the remaining minute of regulation.
• Washington beat Utah for the first time in seven video games with out a lot assist from Noah Dickerson and Jaylen Nowell — an encouraging signal for the Huskies.
• Oregon State’s additional time victory over USC isn’t all that noteworthy. The very fact the Beavers did it with out Tres Tinkle? That’s fascinating.
• You may recall a 2017 offseason exercise that left three Oregon gamers hospitalized. One of the three has sued the faculty, former coach Willie Taggart and the ex-strength coach. Former offensive lineman Doug Brenner is reportedly looking for $11.5 million in damages. Of notice: The power coach, Irele Oderinde, wasn’t correctly licensed and was subsequently suspended.
Content material on the Pac-12’s Olympic Sports activities.
• Arizona’s $13 million renovation of Hillenbrand Aquatics Middle is full. The Day by day Star’s Greg Hansen notes the Wildcats “were the last of the Pac-12’s swimming giants” to improve their facility. “Arizona now has a jewel matched by few in college swimming.”
• It was love at first spike for Arizona State volleyball participant Halle Johnson. Or perhaps it was love at first examine (dinner examine) for ASU hockey captain Brinson Pasichnuk. Both approach, he proposed, and she or he stated sure. In the meantime, Pac-12 champ Cameron Craig is not swimming for ASU, stories swimswam.
• The Pac-12 produced eight choices in the Nationwide Ladies’s Soccer League draft, together with 4 of the top-five picks. (It’s like SEC soccer.)
• Todd Marinovich is an addict and virtually 50. His father, Marv, has Alzheimer’s. Sports activities Illustrated’s Michael Rosenberg expertly tells the heart-wrenching, blood-curling account of a son positioned in an unimaginable place by a father who, it’s now clear, was an absolute piece of $#@!. When you’ve got time to learn one story this weekend, make it this.
What’s approaching the Pac-12 Hotline:
• ‘Saturday Night Five’ is slotted for the ordinary spot (’spherical midnight) although there are two basketball video games on Sunday.
• Grades for the head coaches in the North and South divisions, delayed as a result of of sudden developments in the Hotline operation, shall be revealed Monday morning.
• Additionally coming Monday: Hotline contributing columnist Brian Bennett on basketball.
The subsequent publication is scheduled for Monday. Prefer it? Please ahead this e mail to associates (enroll right here). Should you don’t, or produce other suggestions, let me know: [email protected]
*** Comply with me on Twitter: @WilnerHotline
*** Pac-12 Hotline shouldn’t be endorsed or sponsored by the Pac-12 Convention, and the views expressed herein don’t essentially mirror the views of the Convention.