TRAINER Brett Dodson thinks he’s obtained Florelle able to win the primary race on the cardboard at Port Macquarie immediately.
The Coffs Harbour coach has loads of causes to be assured about Florelle’s hopes within the seventh race over 1200m regardless of the very fact it’s her first go on the monitor.
Dodson has solely had the seven-year-old for 2 begins however they’ve been eye-catching runs, together with a second putting when on debut for the secure within the $40,000 Daniel Baker Dash (1200m) at Coffs Harbour. She then had a nine-week let-up earlier than operating fourth final begin over 1000m, and Dodson favored what he noticed.
MATT JONES’S BEST BETS
ANGEL OF HEAVEN (Race 6, No.four)
Nicely-bred filly who will solely enhance now she’s out to 1500m. Regardless of going up two courses, she seems too gifted for her rivals.
MAGNOLIA POWER (Race 1, No.10)
Hasn’t had a neater race to contest than this. Unplaced at her first three runs however this seems to be winnable contemplating she was lower than half a size off Jen Guidelines on the town not way back.
LATEST BETTING: TAB FIXED ODDS
BARKALA (Race four, No.1)
He was out of the placings final time however got here residence properly to run lower than 4 lengths off the winner. This doesn’t appear to be an excessively robust subject.
Race 5: 1, 2, 5
Race 6: four
Race 7: three, four, 7
Race eight: 1, three, 5, 6.
TRAINER TO WATCH
KRIS LEES might have massive day trip. Magnolia Energy, Angel Of Heaven and Complete Energy all look to be large profitable hopes of their races.
JOCKEY TO WATCH
ANDREW GIBBONS is driving numerous Lees’ prime hopes and can also be aboard Magic Identify for Angela Davies.
SCROLL DOWN FOR MATT’S EXTENDED PREVIEW & TIPS
“She’s racing really well and ran a good race in the Coffs Sprint (two starts back), where she had to do it tough out wide but hit the line strongly in a good form race,” he stated. “She’s had a bit of a freshen-up and had a good blow after that last run. The fact it was over 1000m meant they were probably a bit sharp for her, but that would have topped her off nicely.”
Florelle hasn’t run since October 2 however does race nicely when her runs are spaced. Dodson has stored her on top of things fitness-wise primarily by way of seashore swims. Her final piece of great work confirmed she was thriving, Dodson stated.
“She had a jumpout last week and went really well, so I expect her to run a nice race.”
“Her work has been good,” he stated. “We don’t do much with her but the jumpout was a big improvement on what she did before her last run. She’s never far away in those Open country sprints, which are strong races. She just goes up a little in weight (2kg), which is the concern, so it will be interesting to see how she carries it.”
Florelle comes out of barrier six within the 10-horse area. That ought to not concern her or her jockey Matthew McGuren, who will simply let her settle within the second half of the pack.
If there’s sufficient velocity within the race, search for Florelle to return storming residence. She has a behavior of doing that. She will reel them in in a short time over the ultimate 100m.
“I think she’ll come off the speed,” Dodson stated. “I hope they run along so she can camp just off them and he can peel her out and wind her up. She’ll go better at 1200m on a dry track.
She’s a funny mare, she doesn’t like it wet but the jar out of the track helps her.
“We’ve got the best in the business on in Matthew McGuren, so that’s in our favour.”
Dodson stated the 26-start veteran had plenty of spark in her.
“I definitely think she’s a good chance now that she’s up to the right distance,” he stated. “The weight is the only negative but the positives outweigh that. We’re just trying to poke around here and win a couple of races with her once she goes to the breeding barn.”
Meantime, Angela Davies says she has by no means had Magic Identify going any higher and he’s able to step up in grade at Port Macquarie.
The Magic Albert six-year-old has solely had 9 begins as a result of accidents and setbacks, however he’s beginning to put collectively an honest document — though a second win is due.
Davies hopes that comes within the Benchmark 66 Handicap (1500m) after he ran second at his final begin at Tamworth over 1400m.
“He’s going really well and has pleased me since his last run,” Davis stated. “He’s tightened up, his work has been good and he looks terrific.
“Gee, he’s been unlucky at his last two. He’s missed the kick, then he’s wide and when he goes for a run, he can’t get it and the winner doesn’t go around a horse.
“He’s been smashing his feed and is thriving and doing well. I think it’s a step up in grade and he gets weight relief, so I think he’s in with a chance.”
Magic Identify has a behavior of settling off the velocity in his races earlier than letting down strongly within the straight, which is what he did two begins again at Port Macquarie when second to Mild Movement over Thursday’s journey.
Andrew Gibbons rode him that day and this time round he’ll pilot him out of barrier six within the seven-horse subject. Davies simply needs to see him given each attainable hope to point out off his skills and he ought to as soon as once more be robust by means of the road.
A very good tactical experience might win this race, too.
“I think the trip suits him and I think he can even get out to 1800m,” Davies stated. “Things can be tricky with seven-horse fields but Andrew knows the horse, so I’ll leave it up to him.
“Small fields can throw up different things but being able to handle the Port Macquarie track is important and he does that well.”
INSIDE MAIL WITH MATT JONES
RACE 1 (1.15pm)
10. Magnolia Energy is given her best activity right here after operating nicely on the town and on the provincials at her three profession runs regardless of being unplaced in all three. She will break via right here from an inside draw. Stablemate three. Charlie’s Regulation appears to be the primary hazard. She was ok to ship to a $100,000 race over the Scone carnival earlier within the yr and ran nicely first-up right here and will profit enormously off that. 1. Magic Ray ought to lead and he’ll beat residence a lot of the area however he’ll be suspect over the ultimate 50m.
BET: MAGNOLIA POWER to win.
RACE 2 (1.50pm)
5. Wild Sheila ran nicely on debut and carries no weight once more from a very good gate, so there’s no cause she will’t take the subsequent step at begin two as a extra assured horse. 2. Grand Acheeva is getting higher with racing and produced an excellent last-start effort when operating previous most the sector from final on the 800m. This race ought to be simpler for three. Veganza so she will bounce again, whereas 1. Hubble is usually a participant within the end if he will get luck from the broad gate, however he’ll want a good bit of it. He’s racing properly, although.
BET: Quinella three, 5.
RACE three (2.25pm)
5. Magic Identify steps up a bit in grade however he appears like he’s able to go to a different degree. He simply wants to start out nicely and put himself into an excellent place and he can then end it off. 2. O’Driscoll is the primary hazard. He loves racing at his house monitor and over the journey and he comes off a strong run within the Kempsey Cup, so he’s proper on this one. 1. Achi Baba could be weak late as will three. Scotty Be Gotti, whereas four. Chantilly Chateau needs additional and hasn’t gained or positioned from six first-up runs.
BET: Exacta 5, 2.
RACE four (three.05pm)
1. Barkala might have run seventh final begin however made up floor within the straight and was lower than 4 lengths off the winner, so he’s a hope once more. three. On line casino Mondial was good on debut and will take a lot out of it and he’s bred to be robust to the road right here. 7. Exdream has been given loads of time to mature forward of his debut and he’s from a number one secure and has drawn nicely so be careful for him. 11. Jackpot Phone wasn’t pushed too arduous in a lead-up trial and should run an enormous race right here.
BET: BARKALA to win.
RACE 5 (three.40pm)
1. Akamin has to hold the highest weight however deserves it after operating shut behind the winners at his previous three begins, together with a three-length loss to Shelley Seashore Street, who’s an aesthetic sort. 2. Dragoneight is best than his report suggests and if he finds slight enchancment this preparation he can win a couple of extra races. 5. Let’s Rebelle has raced properly recent prior to now and she or he will get in nicely on the weights and from the barrier. four. Eddy Would Go can race nicely first-up and has taken on higher opposition than this however he’s seven now.
BET: AKAMIN to win.
RACE 6 (four.15pm)
four. Angel Of Heaven was spectacular on debut and she or he’s one of many best-bred fillies within the nation not to mention the bush, so there’s no shock she’s been put straight into Class 2 grade and she or he’ll love the additional 200m in journey. She in all probability needs even additional subsequent begin. 7. Tipsy Selection all the time provides a superb present and any enchancment will give her a spot probability little question. 5. Mizzone broke via to win at begin 13 final time which got here out of nowhere.
BET: ANGEL OF HEAVEN to win.
RACE 7 (four.50pm)
three. Florelle has to hold a bit of additional weight right here however she’s a confirmed performer in Open firm races which are even stronger than this one, so she appears like a very good profitable probability. Getting again as much as 1200m is right and she or he must be coming excessive of them. four. Selection Larga is arguably at his best first-up and he’s a confirmed performer on the town and on the provincials and comes into this off one trial however it was a profitable one the place he seemed the products. 7. Penfold is just too constant to go away out of the multiples and she or he’s acquired nice type behind her too and has the health edge on her principal rivals.
BET: Boxed trifecta three, four, 7.
RACE eight (5.30pm)
three. Complete Energy might finish a possible tremendous day for Kris Lees within the final. He’s a free-rolling Dundeel colt who shall be up on the velocity outdoors the chief if issues work out. He took a while to wind up on debut however was robust via the road. Stablemate 6. Off The Dial has raced towards some in-form runners in her brief profession and is best than her document suggests. 5. Simply Scorching is one other who’s constructing in the direction of one other win and he’s been freshened for this. 1. Traumatised goes to threaten late however appears to run his best over 1000m.
BET: TOTAL POWER to win.