The vacations are simply SO over. You’re accomplished cooking for household, the 5 buddies your teenager dragged in, your vacation fling and truthfully, really truthfully, your self. However … you additionally blew your January restaurant price range on vacation gross sales.
Simply keep in mind this rhyme: Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Even when — particularly if — you’re not that East Coaster who gained that New Yr’s Mega Hundreds of thousands jackpot, and aren’t all of us pausing to hate them now?
As a result of right here’s the factor: A grocer’s rotisserie chicken is designed to do one factor: Tempt you, after you’ve crammed your cart with sane, wholesome, budget-conscious, labor-intensive elements, to throw warning to the winds and hit the straightforward button.
Nevertheless it can be top-of-the-line values within the retailer, as a result of it provides you moist and tender meat plus wholesome broth for soups and sautes down the road. The house prepare dinner who has quart or pint jars of home-cooked chicken broth within the fridge or freezer is a superhero of cooking. Squash soup? Executed. Chowder? Examine. Cream of potato soup? Spuds, broth, cream. Roasted root greens. Egg drop soup? Easy.
So actually, with that one buy out of your favourite grocer, you possibly can feed six individuals a most important dish at the very least twice, and a pair 4 occasions. Singles may have a number of dinners and lunches to freeze and take to work. Maybe the perfect factor about rotisserie chicken recipes: They’re terribly forgiving and utterly customizable. The meat is cooked by the professionals, so it’s troublesome to go terribly mistaken. And when you’ve tried a few these recipes, you’ll get the hold of improvising with no matter’s in your pantry.
Don’t toss that chicken carcass; use it to make broth. ((Thinkstock by Getty Pictures)
Primary Chicken Broth
Don’t scrimp on the dimensions of the pot. Wait so as to add the salt and the lemon juice, vinegar or wine till the contents of the pot has reached a simmer. Makes about one quart. — Susan Clotfelter
- 1 roasted chicken carcass, most meat eliminated, recent or frozen
- Water to cowl
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons recent lemon juice, apple cider vinegar or white wine
- Recent or dried thyme (optionally available)
- Salt and pepper to style
- Place the carcass in a medium to giant, heavy-bottom inventory pot (at the least 12 quarts; you don’t need the pot greater than a bit bit over half full when water is added). Add water to cowl; use filtered water if desired.
- Over medium warmth, convey water to a simmer. Add salt and lemon juice, vinegar or wine. Scale back warmth till water is barely shifting.
- Simmer for a day or two, including extra water as wanted. In case your pot is large enough, you actually can depart the home whereas it simmers for an hour or two, so long as your range is electrical and the water begins out overlaying the chicken. You can too use a slow-cooker or strain cooker; comply with the producers’ directions.
- Whenever you’re sick of simmering that factor, and all the pores and skin and shreds of meat have left the bone, cease including water. When it seems to be like a very thick slurry with bones poking out, pressure the combination with a high quality mesh strainer.
- Discard the bones, pores and skin and meat. (Sure, it appears wasteful, however you’re actually extracted all of the protein, nutritional vitamins and collagen from it by this time. Don’t feed it to pets until you’re actually prepared to comb each smidge of bone out of it.) Style the broth and add salt and pepper to style, or, if it tastes solely weakly of chicken and there’s plenty of it, return to the pot and simmer to scale back the quantity.
- Pour the strained liquid right into a clear, can-or-freeze glass jar, apply a clear two-piece lid and freeze or refrigerate.
- As soon as the broth is chilled, the fats will settle on the prime. Scrape it off — or not.
Badger Chicken ‘n’ Taties
My good friend Emily loves badgers, and she additionally loves mashed potatoes. This was the hot-and-filling, quick-and-easy recipe that impressed this story and received us by means of her most up-to-date condominium transfer. Serves 2 to Four. — Susan Clotfelter
- 1 Four-ounce package deal of immediate mashed potatoes, ready based on package deal instructions (scorching water and milk will probably be required).
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken meat per individual, or 1 leg and a couple of chunks of thigh meat
- 1 slice good-quality smoked Gouda cheese
- Salt and pepper to style
- Put together mashed potatoes in accordance with package deal directions.
- In giant soup bowls, first layer heat mashed potatoes, coarsely chopped chicken meat, and lastly, smoked Gouda.
- Microwave simply lengthy sufficient on medium to heat all of the components and soften the Gouda.
- Serve instantly with an excellent stout (Emily recommends Unhappy Panda) and a baked apple for dessert.
Basic Creamy Chicken Chowder
This soup is made thicker by the addition of dehydrated potato flakes, however you’ll be able to substitute chopped, boiled potatoes. Serves 6. — Susan Clotfelter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- Four ribs celery, together with small leaves and coronary heart if attainable, diced
- 1 quart home-made chicken broth
- 1 to 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken meat
- 1 half cups thinly sliced carrots
- half cup or extra half-and-half
- 2/three cup dehydrated potato flakes
- Salt and pepper to style
- In a medium-sized skillet, soften the butter over medium-low warmth. Add the onions and sweat till virtually translucent, stirring frequently Add the celery and proceed to warmth till the leaves give off their perfume. Whereas the onions and celery are cooking, add the broth and meat to a medium-large soup pot and warmth to a simmer.
- Slice the carrots, ideally in a meals processor (that is to get them skinny sufficient to bend, which permits them to prepare dinner shortly). Add the carrots to the soup pot, together with the cooked onions and celery. Stir and permit to simmer till all of the components are heated by means of. Add the half-and- half and stir; add extra if desired. Add the potato flakes.
- Proceed to warmth, stir, and regulate for style and consistency. Right here, you’ll be able to add recent herbs, pepper, extra chicken, bacon, shrimp, beans, peppers, corn – principally, deal with this soup as a canvas you’ll be able to paint on.
- Serve with crusty bread and a superb cheese.
Variation: Chicken Inexperienced Chile: Omit the carrots; add the potatoes provided that desired to thicken. Add one Four-ounce can of fire-roasted inexperienced chiles. Improve the chile powder to your most popular warmth degree. If desired, add one finely chopped chipotle chile roasted in adobo sauce.
When you’re utilizing white corn tortillas for enchiladas, they could be a bit fragile and break as you’re assembling them. It’s annoying, nevertheless it doesn’t matter: simply disguise the breakage with the enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. (Susan Clotfelter, Particular to The Denver Publish)
Rotisserie Chicken Enchiladas
For those who’re utilizing corn tortillas, the end result will probably be gluten-free, however the enchiladas shall be extra more likely to burst open throughout the highest, particularly if they’re in any respect stale. However don’t sweat that; the breakage will probably be coated up by the enchilada sauce and cheese, and nobody will know. Serves 6. — Susan Clotfelter
- 2 tablespoons impartial vegetable oil
- three 12-ounce jars delicate inexperienced tomatillo salsa
- 1 cup hand-crafted chicken broth
- 1 half cups bitter cream or full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons powdered chili pepper or different Mexican seasoning, if desired
- 1 bunch cilantro (sufficient to offer one cup loosely packed chopped leaves), if desired
- Salt and pepper to style
- 2 to three cups rotisserie chicken meat, faraway from bones, pores and skin on or off as desired
- 1 cup frozen or canned candy corn
- 1 Eight-ounce jar roasted purple peppers or frozen ripe bell pepper, chopped fantastic
- 12 flour or white corn tortillas, 6 inches or bigger; as recent as attainable
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, divided
- Preheat oven to 300 levels. Oil two Eight-inch or 9-inch sq. casserole dishes. Put aside.
- In a big skillet, empty the 2 jars of tomatillo salsa. Add the chicken broth and warmth over low till steaming, not effervescent. Add the bitter cream or Greek yogurt and stir till well-combined, retaining the sauce shifting. Don’t permit to boil. Style; add chili powder if desired. Add half of the chopped cilantro, if desired; add salt and pepper to style. When the style is to your liking, reserve two cups of the sauce.
- Add the chicken, corn and peppers to the remaining sauce within the skillet and warmth by way of, tasting as you go. You could want extra salsa or extra bitter cream or yogurt, however the chicken mixture must be pretty meaty and not too moist at this level.
- Assemble the enchiladas: Spoon a few quarter cup into every 6-inch tortilla, and place seam down within the first casserole. Fill the 2 casseroles every with a single layer of enchiladas; tear a tortilla in half if wanted. Excessive of every casserole, pour a cup of the reserved sauce, then unfold a cup of the shredded cheddar.
- Place casseroles on center shelf in oven. Prepare dinner for 15 minutes; improve warmth to 350 and proceed to prepare dinner till edges are effervescent and cheese is melted, however solely brown across the edges. Serve instantly, or permit to chill. Separate into parts and seal in containers to refrigerate.
Whip up a easy peanut sauce — peanut butter, chicken broth, ginger and soy sauce or tamari — and drizzle it on chicken breast slices. Then wrap them in crispy leaf or butter lettuce, with or with out grated carrots or Napa cabbage for a grab-and-go dinner or lunch. (Susan Clotfelter, Particular to The Denver Submit)
Nutty Sesame Chicken Sauce
This fast peanut sauce may be draped over chicken breast slices or combined with chicken chunks and rice noodles. For those who’re avoiding peanuts, use clean almond butter. For those who’re out of recent ginger root, simply seize the powdered ginger out of your spice cupboard; it’s higher than no ginger in any respect. Make notice of whether or not your peanut butter is sweetened; in that case, be cautious of further sweeteners. You need a stability between tangy, scorching, candy and salty. — Susan Clotfelter
- half cup chicken broth
- Four tablespoons tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
- three tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon recent grated ginger or about 2 tablespoons powdered, or to style
- half cup creamy peanut butter
- Salt (if wanted)
- 1 tablespoon honey (optionally available)
- Pink pepper flakes (optionally available)
- Black and white sesame seeds (non-compulsory)
- Boil chicken broth in a small saucepan.
- Add tamari, rice vinegar, fish sauce and grated ginger. (If Santa didn’t convey you a microplane for grating ginger, attempt utilizing a garlic press – or chop it effective, boil the broth for 5 minutes and pressure out the ginger bits. You may also use ready chopped ginger or powdered, however go slowly and style as you go.)
- Flip the warmth right down to low; when the liquid stops boiling, add the peanut butter and whisk vigorously.
- Style; regulate seasonings and add the honey if desired.
- Serve on prime of cooked chicken breast slices or items wrapped in lettuce, or tossed with rice noodles and chopped, steamed greens.
Easy Egg-Drop Soup
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tamari, or to style
- half teaspoon Sriracha or Asian chili paste
- 2 eggs
- 2 scallions, white and inexperienced elements, chopped finely
- Beat the eggs properly in a lidded bowl to make pouring into the recent broth simpler.
- Warmth the broth to boiling.
- Add tamari and chili paste.
- Slowly pour within the eggs, stirring always.
- Add the chopped scallion and serve.
Straightforward Tacky Linguine and Chicken. (Barbara Ellis, The Denver Publish)
Straightforward Tacky Linguine and Chicken
Throughout our elaborate Christmas dinner, for which we spent hours (and hours) getting ready, the topic naturally turned to NOT cooking as soon as the vacations have been over. And the simplest method to try this is by using a pre-cooked chicken. Right here’s a so-simple recipe from Pam Sager of Denver, by means of Madison Breuer of Denver. — Barbara Ellis
- 1 16-ounce package deal linguine noodles
- three cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 26-ounce jar of Ragu Chunky Tomato, Garlic & Onion Pasta Sauce
- 1 16-ounce jar of Ragu Roasted Garlic Parmesan Cheese Creations pasta sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ to 1 cup chopped inexperienced pepper (elective)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained (optionally available)
- Crushed pink pepper, to style (I used 2 teaspoons, however add extra when you like the warmth)
- Salt and pepper, to style
- Shredded Parmesan, to garnish
- Chopped recent basil, to garnish (elective)
- Saute inexperienced peppers and onions in small quantity of olive oil till softened; put aside.
- Boil linguine and drain; instantly place in a big pot over low warmth.
- Add the sauce, stir to coat and warmth via.
- Add the chicken, crushed purple pepper, onions and inexperienced pepper (and can of diced tomatoes, if desired).
- Add salt and pepper, toss all.
- Serve with shredded Parmesan and chopped recent basil on prime.
Italian Chicken Orzo Soup. “Barbara Ellis, The Denver Submit)
Italian Chicken Orzo Soup
There are lots of recipes for Italian Chicken Orzo Soup on the market, however this one is the favourite of Ben Emanuelson and Nancy Buchanan of Denver — and really easy utilizing rotisserie chicken. Says Buchanan: “It’s one of those soups that becomes thicker over time, since the orzo soaks up a lot of the liquid. Add more chicken broth when reheating to make it more soupy.” — Barbara Ellis
- 1 pound Italian candy sausage (floor or faraway from casings)
- three cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped recent parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 32-ounce field chicken broth
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta
- Four cups recent child spinach
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/Eight teaspoon pepper
- Brown sausage in giant pot over medium warmth.
- Add can of tomatoes, onion, garlic, carrots and celery.
- Stir in parsley, basil and chicken broth.
- Add 2½ to three cups of water and convey to a boil. Scale back warmth to low and prepare dinner for 30 minutes.
- Stir in orzo, spinach and chicken, and proceed cooking for 15-20 minutes extra or till pasta is al dente.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Rotisserie chicken shopping for and storing tips
- Learn elements. Some shops’ chickens are extra extremely seasoned with issues a few of your eaters could be avoiding, corresponding to garlic or gluten.
- Give them the sniff examine. Select the chicken whose pores and skin is properly brown, however not burned.
- Get that sucker house shortly; it’s cooked meat and you need to refrigerate it as quickly as potential.
- In the event you can odor it in your automotive, your canine (and perhaps your cat) can odor it miles away, not to mention in your counter. So don’t depart that chicken in paw’s attain.
- A still-warm chicken is simpler to get all the meat off; a relaxing one is tidier to deconstruct. So should you don’t thoughts messy arms that smear the whole lot they contact, and you need as a lot meat off the bones as potential, then by all means, rush residence and pull the chicken aside whereas it’s nonetheless heat. In the event you can’t do this, chill it. I discovered that my worry the chicken would dry out in my fridge if it sat for a day or two was utterly baseless. Nevertheless, for those who go for the messy technique, hold a roll of paper towels useful.
- That doesn’t imply that whenever you come house ravenous, you’ll be able to’t pull these tasty legs off and devour them with a bit of salt and a fast inexperienced salad. Simply refrigerate the remaining (and see tip No. Four above).
- The clamshell plastic case or plastic bag that your chicken is available in may have gelatinous goo within the backside in the event you refrigerate your chicken (and yummy, runny juices for those who don’t). That stuff is liquid gold. For the love of all that’s holy, don’t pitch it. Utilizing heat water, rinse it into the stockpot the place you’re throwing the bones, or jar and freeze it for once you do boil the bones.
- No time to boil the carcass? Put it in a resealable bag and freeze it for if you DO have time. Simply ensure to pitch the drumstick bones and wings in there, too, and label that bag – as soon as frozen, it gained’t be recognizable as future soup broth.
- Low cost golf equipment supply the most important rotisserie chickens, however groceries supply natural or unseasoned ones, and some supply a number of sizes of chickens. Largest isn’t all the time greatest.
- Don’t overlook that you simply completely can roast your personal chook, or spend money on a mini-rotisserie your self. When you’ve acquired a roasted chicken, proceed like everybody else who obtained theirs the straightforward approach.